Blog: How many drops in a dash?
Catherine Sleep | 22 November 2006
Bernice Hurst, one of just-food’s regular contributors, shared with me a lovely anecdote of how she was unfairly bested in a quiz. Get this: one of the questions in the food category was “How many drops in a recipe make up a dash?”
Now, Bernice knows a thing or two about cooking, but she’d never come across this conversion and thus became exceedingly bad-tempered. The quizmaster, fanatical about his responsibilities, insisted he had googled this to confirm the correctness of his answer, which he claimed was six.
Unwilling to let it lie, Bernice went home and hit the web herself to find out if such a conversion exists and came up with various definitions including 4.75, ten and, on the Tabasco website, “The number of drops in a "dash" of Tabasco sauce depends entirely upon how hard you shake the bottle!”. So, no universal consensus on six, then.
She tells me she’s “over it” now, but if anyone out there has a view, I’m keen to hear from you. In the meantime, ladies and gentlemen, I refer you once more to the great Nigel Slater, whose wonderful cookbooks are imbued with this reassurance: “There is too much talk of cooking being an art or a science – we are only making ourselves something to eat.”
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities