Blog: How many drops in a dash?
Catherine Sleep | 22 November 2006
Bernice Hurst, one of just-food’s regular contributors, shared with me a lovely anecdote of how she was unfairly bested in a quiz. Get this: one of the questions in the food category was “How many drops in a recipe make up a dash?”
Now, Bernice knows a thing or two about cooking, but she’d never come across this conversion and thus became exceedingly bad-tempered. The quizmaster, fanatical about his responsibilities, insisted he had googled this to confirm the correctness of his answer, which he claimed was six.
Unwilling to let it lie, Bernice went home and hit the web herself to find out if such a conversion exists and came up with various definitions including 4.75, ten and, on the Tabasco website, “The number of drops in a "dash" of Tabasco sauce depends entirely upon how hard you shake the bottle!”. So, no universal consensus on six, then.
She tells me she’s “over it” now, but if anyone out there has a view, I’m keen to hear from you. In the meantime, ladies and gentlemen, I refer you once more to the great Nigel Slater, whose wonderful cookbooks are imbued with this reassurance: “There is too much talk of cooking being an art or a science – we are only making ourselves something to eat.”
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016