Blog: How will US consumers react to E. coli scares?
Dean Best | 8 October 2007
Questions are being raised about the safety of the meat supply in the US – and quite rightly so – after two big E. coli scares in a matter of days.
Over the weekend, Cargill announced that it was recalling over 800,000 lbs of frozen ground beef patties. The recall came after health officials in the state of Minnesota found a preliminary link between four cases of E. coli and Cargill products bought at local Sam's Club stores.
Cargill’s admission came a day after Topps Meat Co., the second-largest supplier of hamburgers in the US, said it was being forced out of business after its own E. coli. scandal.
That a product recall should bring a company the size of Topps to its knees provoked raised eyebrows. But, the surprise no doubt turned to bewilderment with the admission from the US Department of Agriculture that it could have done more in ordering a faster recall from Topps.
That admission, coupled with Cargill’s announcement, will raise fresh questions about the safety of meat in the US. Just what is behind the rising number of cases of E. coli? And what impact will they have on consumer confidence?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review