Blog: How would a US recession affect the BRIC markets?
Dean Best | 13 February 2008
Unilever’s Indian venture unveiled a set of robust numbers for 2007 today (13 February), amid much talk about how a downturn in the US could stunt growth in the world’s emerging markets.
There has been a lot of debate on whether markets like Brazil, Russia, India and China will continue to enjoy the rapid growth seen in recent years when the global economy is awaiting the impacts of recession in the US.
A key plank in Unilever’s growth strategy is expansion in emerging markets. Last week, Unilever boss Patrick Cescau said growth in 2008 may not match previous years but he remained upbeat.
"We expect the emerging markets to come a bit off their peak in 2008," he said. However, he added: "The economic fundamentals of those markets are good."
That view was echoed by Harish Manwani, president of Unilever's business in Asia and Africa, who said the company would continue to see strong demand in the region's developing markets. "Domestic demand is robust," Manwani said.
"People are converting into branded goods and uptrading because of money and you are still seeing people coming into the economy, even though there is price inflation."
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report