Blog: Hybrid fruit
Catherine Sleep | 7 August 2006
We are currently enjoying a glut of soft fruit from my father-in-law’s garden, with loganberries particularly abundant this year. I only recently learned that the loganberry is a hybrid created by crossing a blackberry and a raspberry. His tayberries are doing well this year too – that’s a hybrid of a loganberry and a raspberry.
This week I got the chance to try a relative newcomer to the world of hybrid fruit, the pluot. As the linguistically agile among you may have guessed, this is a cross between a plum (3/4) and an apricot (1/4). It is sometimes marketed as a Dinosaur Egg, and it was with younger consumers in mind that Spanish fruit producer Royal has launched a variety under the Brontosaur egg Pluot® name.
It’s only available for two weeks, so I count myself jolly lucky to have had the chance to sample one. It was something of a revelation. As you can see in the picture below, the outer skin looks like a plum with a bright skin and a rounded shape. At the same time, it has distinctive characteristics that mark it out as a different fruit – the skin is finer and the skin and flesh is a mixture of colours.
As for the flavour…..I got mostly plum but it was pleasingly sweet. This particular variety may only be available for another few days, but Royal makes other premium varieties of pluot so keep your eyes peeled.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review