Blog: Hypermarket hype
Catherine Sleep | 18 April 2006
I spent one of my bank holidays zipping across to France through the Eurotunnel. It wasn’t quite as slick as advertised but still remarkably quick and easy. We had a fantastic lunch down in Wimereux; France’s reputation for fine dining seems as justified as ever. Not only was the food fresh, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented; it was good value. Four courses plus an amuse-bouche for €20? Can’t say fairer than that. Chef also obligingly knocked up an off-the-menu omelette for my toddler, which made life easy and gave him a treat.
We then followed this up with the obligatory trolley dash through one of Calais’s many hypermarkets. The quality of fresh produce was still impressive but I did notice more prepared foods on the shelves than on prior visits. Ready meals are clearly gaining a foothold and groceries such as bottled salad dressings and mayonnaise are on the rise. Although perhaps such culinary short cuts are targeted primarily at the region’s many British shoppers?
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities