Blog: I know my onions, I do
Catherine Sleep | 1 February 2007
Or do I? A new campaign is in the pipeline to, and I quote, “grow the market for British onions by rejuvenating their image and repositioning them as a modern health essential”. Well well, who’d have thought the onion needed rehabilitating?
If anything were a shopping basket staple, surely it’s the humble allium. I’ve not met a world cuisine yet that doesn’t rely heavily on onions in its savoury dishes. Perhaps the point here is the desire to promote British onions above their international counterparts. It’s true that onions, like other everyday produce, can be viewed as a commodity product with little to recommend one variety above another.
Perhaps the British onion’s PR people need to take a longer view. The trend to local sourcing and the reduction of food miles will probably do as much to encourage consumption as any push to convince shoppers of the superior merits of home-grown onions.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020