Blog: I know my onions, I do
Catherine Sleep | 1 February 2007
Or do I? A new campaign is in the pipeline to, and I quote, “grow the market for British onions by rejuvenating their image and repositioning them as a modern health essential”. Well well, who’d have thought the onion needed rehabilitating?
If anything were a shopping basket staple, surely it’s the humble allium. I’ve not met a world cuisine yet that doesn’t rely heavily on onions in its savoury dishes. Perhaps the point here is the desire to promote British onions above their international counterparts. It’s true that onions, like other everyday produce, can be viewed as a commodity product with little to recommend one variety above another.
Perhaps the British onion’s PR people need to take a longer view. The trend to local sourcing and the reduction of food miles will probably do as much to encourage consumption as any push to convince shoppers of the superior merits of home-grown onions.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review