Blog: In charge of the BBQ? It's the caveman in you
Dean Best | 29 May 2009
It's official: men love barbecuing because it brings out the “primal caveman-type instincts” deep inside.
A study commissioned by the National BBQ Association – released (fancy that) as the UK gets ready for a scorcher of a weekend – reckons men get feelings of “pride and control” like our hunter-gathering ancestors.
One Dr Ludwig F. Lowenstein said the ritual of a barbecue mirrored our early existence.
“Men did the hunting and women did the gathering and looked after the children. Modern man has the same instinct when they stand over a white hot barbecue,” Dr Lowenstein said.
"Just like a primitive caveman he enjoys to cook his food outdoors preferably during fine weather. This is his domain while the house is often his wife's.”
Men regarding barbecuing as their “right and responsibility”, the psychologist said.
“Most women accept the man playing this role in this primeval way but I am sure some resent it too.”
One woman close to just-food said there might be something in Dr Lowenstein's thesis. “Why else would men not be fussed about cooking in the kitchen but go mad for cooking on a BBQ?” she smiled knowingly.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report