Blog: India regulator clears Tesco investment. Will Carrefour be next?
Dean Best | 2 January 2014
On Monday (30 December), India's foreign investment watchdog reportedly cleared Tesco's move to become the first overseas retailer to run multi-brand retail outlets. Industry watchers are now looking to see which other multinational could follow in the UK grocer's footsteps - and speculation is surrounding the intentions of Carrefour.
The French retailer has five cash-and-carry stores in India but, with rules on overseas investment in consumer-facing outlets now relaxed, there is talk the world's second-largest retailer could make a similar move to Tesco.
Indian newspaper Business Standard today cited sources in India's ministry of commerce and industry who are said to have told the publication Carrefour is expected to apply to invest in a multi-brand retail business by March.
Sources also told the newspaper Carrefour had already held talks over possible partnerships with Indian retailers Future Group and Shoppers Stop.
Contacted by just-food today, Carrefour refused to comment.
However, the retail giant is likely to be weighing up its options for India now that its UK rival has secured approval for its partnership with Tata Group.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review