Blog: Industry figures gather for 2013 World Retail Congress
Michelle Russell | 7 October 2013
The 2013 World Retail Congress kicks off in earnest today (7 October) in the city of romance, Paris, and just-food will be there to bring you the latest new and views from the event.
While there is unlikely to be any love floating through the La Défense conference halls this week, it is probable there will be passion from the leaders set to address attendees.
Top food retail bosses have joined the list of over 150 speakers to share their strategies and insights into the opportunities and challenges facing the food retail industry and promising markets for growth.
Over the next few days just-food will be reporting from the Congress as we listen to what the CEO of Carrefour, George Plassat, might have to say about European trading, whether he truly is seeing a rebound in the group's domestic business, and which international markets are providing the most potential.
UK retailers will also share their thoughts on the European market and the future of digital retailing. We'll hear from Ocado CEO Tim Steiner, Sainsbury's group development director Luke Jensen and the head of store development for Waitrose, Anthony Wysome.
The emerging markets will also feature heavily as retail leaders from key countries such as India and Indonesia offer their views how Asia, beyond China, could be a golden opportunity for retailers to grow their businesses and find new customers. The growing consumer economies of Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam will also feature.
just-food has been taking a closer look at the BRIC economies in our two most recent management briefings - on Brazil and Russia.
It will be interesting to hear whether growing evidence of a slowdown in emerging markets is long-term issue or whether we will again see the rapid growth rate experienced throughout the nineties and most of the noughties.
Follow just-food at this year's World Retail Congress to hear what key executives and leaders have to say about the key opportunities in global food retailing.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020