Blog: Inflation outpaces wage rises across Europe
Chris Mercer | 31 August 2012
Balkans retailer Mercator has reported half-year losses, citing "profound recession" in key markets. Here, we've used the firm's figures to show where inflation is outpacing rises in net personal income in Europe.
It makes for pretty daunting viewing, though is perhaps not altogether unsurprising. With virtually no growth across the eurozone and pressure growing from raw material cost rises, food manufacturers, retailers and processors are facing a severe squeeze on margins.
In the graph below, countries in red are those where inflation is outpacing rises in personal net income. In green are the lucky ones.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities