Blog: International brands face stronger customer after Auchan, Systeme-U deal
Dean Best | 15 September 2014
France's fifth- and sixth-largest retailers, Auchan and Système U, are to team up on buying - with the companies to work together when dealing with international brands.
Auchan and Système U said the agreement would not cover fresh produce, some cheese products, bakery lines, meat and seafood.
The deal will also exclude private label, which accounts for 25% of the two retailers' sales on average.
The grocers sought to further emphasise their independence with the insistence that they would continue to operate independently on setting the product ranges available in their stores and on setting price and promotion policy.
However, the fact Auchan and Système U are to work together on some buying is likely to cause some furrowed brows at manufacturers.
And not just about the prospect of negotiating buying terms with - on paper - a stronger entity.
By working together on buying, Auchan and Système U could divert the savings they make into pricing and promotions as they look to trade more effectively in some tough trading conditions in France.
Announcing the deal, Auchan said the agreement came amid "a difficult economic context of value-destroying deflation, with no prospect that would change in the medium term".
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020