Blog: Ireland's food sector can drive economy, say manufacturers
Michelle Russell | 31 July 2012
Ireland's food industry will create 30,000 new jobs across the economy by 2020, it has been claimed.
In a report published this week, industry association Food and Drink Industry Ireland (FDII) claims that if Ireland's Government puts the "right policies" in place, the sector, "more so than any other in manufacturing", will drive growth in the country's wider economy, which has had a difficult number of years.
FDII maintains support could also ensure the sector will also deliver ambitious exports of EUR12bn within the next eight years.
"The sector's exports have already rebounded from lows experienced in 2007 and reached a new high last year," said FDII director Paul Kelly. "However, continued export growth and the accompanying job creation are only possible if public policy is aligned with the needs of the sector.
"Ireland's food and drink sector is deeply embedded in the Irish economy, which means that an increased focus on food will drive growth in the wider economy as well as in the sector itself."
The report, which can be read here, outlines how to achieve ambitious targets and the needs for the sector, including financing facilities to support expansion and the development of new companies.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report