Blog: Is PepsiCo's health drive a load of froth?
Dean Best | 24 August 2009
As a producer of crisps and fizzy drinks, PepsiCo is understandably keen to try and convince the world that it is playing its part in the battle against obesity.
The Walkers owner is a participant, for instance, in the UK government-backed Change4Life initative, which is aiming to encourage us Brits to develop an active lifestyle.
And, in an interview with The Observer newspaper yesterday (23 August), Salman Amin, PepsiCo's UK boss outlined other ways in which the US food and drinks giant is promoting a healthy message.
Amin told the newspaper that the compay had not "spent a penny" marketing its full-sugar Pepsi brand, while the company has also this month launched Planet Lunch, a range of healthy lunchboxes for kids.
In a similar vein, PepsiCo has told us that it plans to launch a "health audit" for its products in the UK this autumn.
All very commendable.
However, a lunchtime stroll into just-food's local Somerfield store sees us greeted by a promotion for Pepsi as soon as we walk through the door.
Sure, Pepsi's low-sugar cousins Pepsi Max and Diet Pepsi are also part of the half-price deal but is the inclusion of the full-sugar stuff in the promo sending out mixed messages about the company's intentions?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review