Blog: It's merger time for Suntory (and Kirin Holdings)
Dean Best | 21 July 2009
Our sister site just-drinks has been busy keeping tabs on the possible merger between Japanese giants Kirin Holdings and Suntory.
At first glance, the deal, should it go through, would likely have more impact on Japan's flagging beer market. A merger would create a company that would control around half of the suds sector in Japan.
Nevertheless, it does affect our sector. Kirin's food interests including two Australian giants - Dairy Farmers and National Foods - while Suntory has various health food brands - including Sesamin and Power of Nature - and also distributes Haagen Dazs ice cream.
There have been fears that the deal could hit anti-trust hurdles in Japan. "It is not at all certain that a deal is really going to happen. The hurdles ahead are by no means small," one analyst told the National Post earlier this month.
On just-drinks today, however, another industry watcher insisted the merger would likely go through - as the Japanese government had already voiced its approval.
"The FTC is more than likely to approve such a deal as the Government has already voiced its support," an analyst at JP Morgan Japan said.
"Japan wants a large, strong and robust company like this to compete effectively in the global marketplace."
After months of quiet on the mega-M&A front, this potential merger has got the market talking. Some reports have said the merger would give a combined Kirin and Suntory a similar level of revenue to the likes of PepsiCo and Kraft Foods.
If the merger is approved, it could herald a round of consolidation, particularly in Asia-Pacific.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report