Blog: It's merger time for Suntory (and Kirin Holdings)
Dean Best | 21 July 2009
Our sister site just-drinks has been busy keeping tabs on the possible merger between Japanese giants Kirin Holdings and Suntory.
At first glance, the deal, should it go through, would likely have more impact on Japan's flagging beer market. A merger would create a company that would control around half of the suds sector in Japan.
Nevertheless, it does affect our sector. Kirin's food interests including two Australian giants - Dairy Farmers and National Foods - while Suntory has various health food brands - including Sesamin and Power of Nature - and also distributes Haagen Dazs ice cream.
There have been fears that the deal could hit anti-trust hurdles in Japan. "It is not at all certain that a deal is really going to happen. The hurdles ahead are by no means small," one analyst told the National Post earlier this month.
On just-drinks today, however, another industry watcher insisted the merger would likely go through - as the Japanese government had already voiced its approval.
"The FTC is more than likely to approve such a deal as the Government has already voiced its support," an analyst at JP Morgan Japan said.
"Japan wants a large, strong and robust company like this to compete effectively in the global marketplace."
After months of quiet on the mega-M&A front, this potential merger has got the market talking. Some reports have said the merger would give a combined Kirin and Suntory a similar level of revenue to the likes of PepsiCo and Kraft Foods.
If the merger is approved, it could herald a round of consolidation, particularly in Asia-Pacific.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review