Blog: Jamie Oliver and Sainsbury's bid each other adieu
Petah Marian | 12 July 2011
It's a sad, sad day today (12 July) with Sainsbury's and Jamie Oliver announcing plans to end their relationship.
After over 11 years and more than 100 television ads, a spokesperson for Sainsbury's told just-food the decision was a "natural end to a strong partnership" and the decision was "completely amicable".
In a joint statement, Oliver and Sainsbury's said that the "decision has been made as both parties feel that it's the right time to move on", especially as Oliver seeks to spend more time on his social projects through the Jamie Oliver Foundation both in the UK and abroad.
While Oliver has clearly been an asset to Sainsbury's, on reflection, the move is an unsurprising one. Oliver's ever increasing ubiquity - he's eclipsed his role as a chef and food campaigner to a mega-brand himself - shilling products ranging from homewares (sold in other supermarkets), through to his own restaurants and his two food-to-go/ cooking schools, which might have led to Oliver's lustre fading among Sainsbury's camp.
The Christmas campaign will be Oliver's last for the retailer and the spokesperson said a replacement will be announced in due course.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review