Blog: Japan steams ahead on traceability
Catherine Sleep | 24 August 2004
We knew Japan was one of the leaders in developing traceability systems for food products. Remember last month’s story about camphone-friendly barcodes on food packaging? Well, they’re going one better now.
A DoCoMo subsidiary has developed a system whereby consumers can point their camphone at fresh fish and capture information about the time and place it was caught as well as the individual who caught it. The guy who keeps the blog which alerted me to this development isn’t keen; he reckons he doesn’t necessarily want to know who’s been handling his food. I disagree: the more information available to shoppers, the more involved they feel in the supply chain and that’s a good thing. Where’s the downside?
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities