Blog: Japan's Itochu in another agrifood deal
Dean Best | 28 July 2014
Almost a year after buying Dole Food Co.'s international packaged food and Asian fresh businesses, Japanese trading house Itochu Corp. has looked again to the wider agrifood sector to diversify its business interests.
Itochu has announced a "strategic alliance" with Thailand-based company Charoen Pokphand Group.
The deal will see CP group buying almost 5% of Itochu while Japan's number three trading house will acquire a quarter of the Thai group's Hong Kong-listed subsidiary C.P. Pokphand Co., which does business in livestock, animal feed and aquatic products in China and Vietnam.
The agreement is another example of a major Japanese business looking to broaden its business in other Asian countries to offset a slow-growth domestic market.
"CPP's main businesses are in China, so our main target through this alliance is China," Koji Takayanagi, senior managing executive officer at Itochu, said, according to Reuters.
Companies: Charoen Pokphand Group
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
Premium sausage producer Debbie & Andrews has launched a new free range sausage selection, Perfectly Free Range, which uses meat sourced from farms where the animals are free to roam....
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights