Blog: Japan's Itochu in another agrifood deal
Dean Best | 28 July 2014
Almost a year after buying Dole Food Co.'s international packaged food and Asian fresh businesses, Japanese trading house Itochu Corp. has looked again to the wider agrifood sector to diversify its business interests.
Itochu has announced a "strategic alliance" with Thailand-based company Charoen Pokphand Group.
The deal will see CP group buying almost 5% of Itochu while Japan's number three trading house will acquire a quarter of the Thai group's Hong Kong-listed subsidiary C.P. Pokphand Co., which does business in livestock, animal feed and aquatic products in China and Vietnam.
The agreement is another example of a major Japanese business looking to broaden its business in other Asian countries to offset a slow-growth domestic market.
"CPP's main businesses are in China, so our main target through this alliance is China," Koji Takayanagi, senior managing executive officer at Itochu, said, according to Reuters.
Companies: Charoen Pokphand Group
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review