Blog: Japan's Itochu in another agrifood deal
Dean Best | 28 July 2014
Almost a year after buying Dole Food Co.'s international packaged food and Asian fresh businesses, Japanese trading house Itochu Corp. has looked again to the wider agrifood sector to diversify its business interests.
Itochu has announced a "strategic alliance" with Thailand-based company Charoen Pokphand Group.
The deal will see CP group buying almost 5% of Itochu while Japan's number three trading house will acquire a quarter of the Thai group's Hong Kong-listed subsidiary C.P. Pokphand Co., which does business in livestock, animal feed and aquatic products in China and Vietnam.
The agreement is another example of a major Japanese business looking to broaden its business in other Asian countries to offset a slow-growth domestic market.
"CPP's main businesses are in China, so our main target through this alliance is China," Koji Takayanagi, senior managing executive officer at Itochu, said, according to Reuters.
Companies: Charoen Pokphand Group
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
Just two weeks into 2015 and competition among UK grocers is heating up further. Will suppliers be caught in the crossfire? Corporate restructuring firm Begbies Traynor thinks so....
Boulder Brands is expanding its Udi's brand in the foodservice channel through a tie-up that will bring two varieties of gluten-free pizza to Pizza Hut outlets throughout the US....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019