Blog: Japan's Itochu in another agrifood deal
Dean Best | 28 July 2014
Almost a year after buying Dole Food Co.'s international packaged food and Asian fresh businesses, Japanese trading house Itochu Corp. has looked again to the wider agrifood sector to diversify its business interests.
Itochu has announced a "strategic alliance" with Thailand-based company Charoen Pokphand Group.
The deal will see CP group buying almost 5% of Itochu while Japan's number three trading house will acquire a quarter of the Thai group's Hong Kong-listed subsidiary C.P. Pokphand Co., which does business in livestock, animal feed and aquatic products in China and Vietnam.
The agreement is another example of a major Japanese business looking to broaden its business in other Asian countries to offset a slow-growth domestic market.
"CPP's main businesses are in China, so our main target through this alliance is China," Koji Takayanagi, senior managing executive officer at Itochu, said, according to Reuters.
Companies: Charoen Pokphand Group
Chilean food group Empresas Carozzi hopes a focus on quality will drive growth from its Agrozzi business in international markets from Asia to Europe....
Some analysts might be breathing a sigh of relief at news Danone is rejecting speculation it is about to swoop for infant-formula giant Mead Johnson. ...
It is an unseasonably mild and bright morning here in Paris as this year's SIAL expo gets under away. Will the mood of exhibitors match the sunnier weather?...
Raisio, the Finland-based food group, is to lower the sugar content of UK cereal brand Sugar Puffs - and at the same time remove the ingredient from the product's name....
With sales under pressure and margins precarious, PepsiCo should sell off its Quaker North America business, Jefferies analysts argued today (16 October)....
- Comment: Paying the price for eating healthily
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- Focus: Why French retail deals could hit suppliers
- M&A Watch: Emmi shareholders should consider sale
- Nestle organic sales fall on Asia, Europe
- Danone "eyes acquisition of Mead Johnson"
- Symington's acquires Tanfield Foods
- Heinz jobs in Australasia to go in restructuring
- Heinz silent over Polish factory expansion talk