Blog: Japan's Itochu in another agrifood deal
Dean Best | 28 July 2014
Almost a year after buying Dole Food Co.'s international packaged food and Asian fresh businesses, Japanese trading house Itochu Corp. has looked again to the wider agrifood sector to diversify its business interests.
Itochu has announced a "strategic alliance" with Thailand-based company Charoen Pokphand Group.
The deal will see CP group buying almost 5% of Itochu while Japan's number three trading house will acquire a quarter of the Thai group's Hong Kong-listed subsidiary C.P. Pokphand Co., which does business in livestock, animal feed and aquatic products in China and Vietnam.
The agreement is another example of a major Japanese business looking to broaden its business in other Asian countries to offset a slow-growth domestic market.
"CPP's main businesses are in China, so our main target through this alliance is China," Koji Takayanagi, senior managing executive officer at Itochu, said, according to Reuters.
Companies: Charoen Pokphand Group
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
Alphabeta 4, a company indirectly controlled by Norway-based private-equity firm IK Investment Partners, is poised to start talks with Sagard Private Equity Partners to buy French chilled dough busine...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
French pork processor Cooperl is poised to launch its Brocéliande brand cooked ham on the Chinese market....
Over the weekend, there were fresh claims Europe-based food retailers Ahold and Delhaize are in discussions to join forces....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details