Blog: JM Smucker continues diversification with pet food buy
Katy Askew | 4 February 2015
US jam, peanut butter and coffee maker JM Smucker has continued its diversification drive with a deal to acquire Big Heart Pet Brands, formerly part of Del Monte Foods, in a deal worth more than US$5.8bn.
Through the acquisition Smucker gains access to the $21bn pet food category with leading brands including Meow Mix and Milk-Bone.
Big Heart Pet Brands was the Del Monte pet food business left after the US group sold its consumer food arm to Del Monte Pacific in 2013.
The deal is similar to the group's 2008 acquisition of the Folgers coffee business from Procter and Gamble. It marks a big-bang expansion of Smucker's presence into an adjacent sector, providing the group with some important North American brands in a substantial category.
"The acquisition is consistent with the company's strategy of owning leading food brands in attractive center-of-the-store categories, with a focus on North America," Smucker said.
Following completion, Smucker's revenue stream will be somewhat transformed. The group's coffee and pet food businesses will each contribute around a third to sales, with the firm's consumer foods brands - spanning categories such as peanut butter and fruit-based spreads - will account for the rest.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Advantage Capital Agribusiness Partners (ACAP), along with Silas Capital and Emil Capital Partners, is investing US$3m Florida-based Vintage Italia, the maker of Pasta Chips snacks. ...
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Hochdorf expands in Africa with Pharmalys buy
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review