Blog: Just don’t spread it too thin
Catherine Sleep | 21 March 2007
Is it just me, or has chocolate spread traditionally laboured under something of a downmarket image? The first thing that comes to mind when I think of chocolate spread is a messy five-year-old sticking a filthy finger into the jar and then licking it.
But there’s a new spread in town, and it’s way too good for kids. In fact, its superior quality was recently recognised at Mintel’s IFT’s Global Trends Awards, and now it’s making a full-scale assault on the UK’s most discerning food halls.
The spread is the brainchild of NewTree, the Belgian company which goes all out to prove that socially responsible premium chocolate needn’t all be fairtrade or organic. It comes in two varieties – Pur Plaisir (dark chocolate) and PlaisirMiel (milk chocolate with honey). Both are relatively low in fat and contain Beneo, an active chicory extract that makes it easier to absorb calcium and improve digestion.
Does this mean you can eat as much of it as you like? That, dear reader, is for you to decide.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review