Blog: just-food attends the European Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil
Ben Cooper | 4 June 2014
just-food attends the European Rountable on Sustainable Palm Oil in London
Today's European Roundtable being held in London by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), the multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at creating a sustainable global supply of palm oil, promises to be an absorbing occasion.
The delegate list shows the event will be very well attended, with representation from food companies, palm oil producers, banks, NGOs and government agencies.
While it lays claim to being a growing cross-stakeholder coalition successfully addressing a pressing environmental issue, the RSPO has come in for heavy criticism from campaigners, being branded as 'greenwash' by some. The Greenpeace report, Certifying Destruction, sets out a host of criticisms of the RSPO certification standards, contending that the RSPO is failing to prevent deforestation. The report includes no fewer than 11 recommendations to the RSPO regarding its standards and practices.
Greenpeace is represented at today's conference and its senior forest campaigner, Pat Venditti, will be participating in a panel debate which will discuss whether "RSPO certification presents the best option we have right now to source sustainable palm oil that protects the environment and supports livelihoods". Also on that panel will be representatives of Cargill, Marks & Spencer and the UN Global Compact. It should be a highlight of the day.
The keynote address, to be given by Dr Alan Knight, sustainability director at Business in the Community and a former board member of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), should also provide a balanced appraisal of how effectively the RSPO is proving in addressing its noble aims.
Opposition to the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food continues to prove a controversial issue....
Is there a link between the weather cooling and the food industry belt-tightening? It appears autumn is the prime season for food manufacturers to get their firms operating at maximum efficiencies, wi...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015