Blog: just-food attends the European Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil
Ben Cooper | 4 June 2014
just-food attends the European Rountable on Sustainable Palm Oil in London
Today's European Roundtable being held in London by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), the multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at creating a sustainable global supply of palm oil, promises to be an absorbing occasion.
The delegate list shows the event will be very well attended, with representation from food companies, palm oil producers, banks, NGOs and government agencies.
While it lays claim to being a growing cross-stakeholder coalition successfully addressing a pressing environmental issue, the RSPO has come in for heavy criticism from campaigners, being branded as 'greenwash' by some. The Greenpeace report, Certifying Destruction, sets out a host of criticisms of the RSPO certification standards, contending that the RSPO is failing to prevent deforestation. The report includes no fewer than 11 recommendations to the RSPO regarding its standards and practices.
Greenpeace is represented at today's conference and its senior forest campaigner, Pat Venditti, will be participating in a panel debate which will discuss whether "RSPO certification presents the best option we have right now to source sustainable palm oil that protects the environment and supports livelihoods". Also on that panel will be representatives of Cargill, Marks & Spencer and the UN Global Compact. It should be a highlight of the day.
The keynote address, to be given by Dr Alan Knight, sustainability director at Business in the Community and a former board member of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), should also provide a balanced appraisal of how effectively the RSPO is proving in addressing its noble aims.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020