Blog: just-food goes Dutch to meet Spar
Dean Best | 15 July 2009
It's a sunny morning here in Amsterdam today (15 July), which makes a pleasant change from the morning rain falling as just-food left London Gatwick airport at 6am this morning.
just-food is here in the Dutch capital to meet the MD of global symbol retailer Spar International to discuss, among other things, convenience, the credit crunch and cracking the world's emerging retail markets.
Spar's sales rose by more than 6% in 2008, driven by organic growth and boosted by acquisitions.
Dr Campbell's thoughts on why Spar has managed to increase revenues amid the global downturn, and on trends in the retail sector in markets from Ukraine to the UK, will be interesting to hear as the company's business spans more than 12,600 stores in 33 countries.
Keep your eyes peeled on the site in the coming days for coverage of the interview. Now, where did just-food put its sunglasses....?
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target