Blog: just-food goes Dutch to meet Spar
Dean Best | 15 July 2009
It's a sunny morning here in Amsterdam today (15 July), which makes a pleasant change from the morning rain falling as just-food left London Gatwick airport at 6am this morning.
just-food is here in the Dutch capital to meet the MD of global symbol retailer Spar International to discuss, among other things, convenience, the credit crunch and cracking the world's emerging retail markets.
Spar's sales rose by more than 6% in 2008, driven by organic growth and boosted by acquisitions.
Dr Campbell's thoughts on why Spar has managed to increase revenues amid the global downturn, and on trends in the retail sector in markets from Ukraine to the UK, will be interesting to hear as the company's business spans more than 12,600 stores in 33 countries.
Keep your eyes peeled on the site in the coming days for coverage of the interview. Now, where did just-food put its sunglasses....?
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group