Blog: just-food on ITV to discuss horse meat saga
Dean Best | 11 February 2013
just-food's deputy editor, Katy Askew, took to UK television screens this morning (11 February) to discuss the ongoing horse meat contamination scandal that is spreading across Europe.
In the last 72 hours, the saga has spread across Europe, with recalls of products in France, Sweden and Germany and the Romanian Prime Minister publicly rebutting claims from Paris that the contamination started at factories in the eastern European country.
Horse meat hit the headlines in the UK last month with news frozen burgers sold at retailers including Tesco, Aldi and The Co-op contained the ingredient. Last week's revelation that Findus frozen lasagne on sale in the country contained up to 100% horse meat ensured the story dominated news bulletins in the UK over the weekend.
Katy appeared on ITV1's Daybreak show in London today to discuss the issue, which has sparked debate over food security in the UK and across Europe.
"The horse meat scandal has raised awareness of just how weak the supply chain can be. It's a very complex and highly-integrated system and is essentially one that relies on trust," she said.
Katy argued the industry has "a lot of work to do" to win back consumer confidence. She acknowledged the efforts the sector is putting in this week with tests on beef products but warned the horse meat contamination could ultimately be the tip of the iceberg.
"The whole issue of a testing system is that it needs to be risk-based. These tests are looking for horse meat; what else could be in the food chain that you don't know about? Well, it's hard to say, isn't it."
For just-food's latest coverage of the horse meat saga in Europe, click here.
(ITV Player | Daybreak 11/02/2013 | 55mins in)
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review