Blog: just-food on ITV to discuss horse meat saga
Dean Best | 11 February 2013
just-food's deputy editor, Katy Askew, took to UK television screens this morning (11 February) to discuss the ongoing horse meat contamination scandal that is spreading across Europe.
In the last 72 hours, the saga has spread across Europe, with recalls of products in France, Sweden and Germany and the Romanian Prime Minister publicly rebutting claims from Paris that the contamination started at factories in the eastern European country.
Horse meat hit the headlines in the UK last month with news frozen burgers sold at retailers including Tesco, Aldi and The Co-op contained the ingredient. Last week's revelation that Findus frozen lasagne on sale in the country contained up to 100% horse meat ensured the story dominated news bulletins in the UK over the weekend.
Katy appeared on ITV1's Daybreak show in London today to discuss the issue, which has sparked debate over food security in the UK and across Europe.
"The horse meat scandal has raised awareness of just how weak the supply chain can be. It's a very complex and highly-integrated system and is essentially one that relies on trust," she said.
Katy argued the industry has "a lot of work to do" to win back consumer confidence. She acknowledged the efforts the sector is putting in this week with tests on beef products but warned the horse meat contamination could ultimately be the tip of the iceberg.
"The whole issue of a testing system is that it needs to be risk-based. These tests are looking for horse meat; what else could be in the food chain that you don't know about? Well, it's hard to say, isn't it."
For just-food's latest coverage of the horse meat saga in Europe, click here.
(ITV Player | Daybreak 11/02/2013 | 55mins in)
Maggi noodles are yet to return to shelves in India but Nestle has started to pave the way for the brand's comeback with a series of social media ads....
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis