Blog: just-food visits the 2014 Free-From Expo
Katy Askew | 4 June 2014
The free-from sector is witnessing strong growth in developed markets from Europe to the US and beyond.
A growing awareness of allergies and intolerances has widened the consumer base now looking at free-from alternatives. Driven by health and wellness concerns, the march of the free-from sector has also been supported by celebrity diet trends and exponents of free-from in sports nutrition.
The rapidly expanding gluten-free area is one that has caught the attention of many food manufacturers, responding to heightened demand from coeliacs and lifestyle consumers. Mainstream brands such as Warburtons and Heinz - spanning categories from baked goods to sauces and condiments - have jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon.
Elsewhere, GM-free is a message that is becoming more important, particularly in the politically charged atmosphere of the US. As the labelling war wages stateside, a GM-free message has become one that manufacturers can leverage to build consumer trust. Both Post Holdings and General Mills, for instance, have added GMO-free labelling to their mainstream cereal brands.
It does not end there - meat-free, dairy-free, nut-free, wheat-free, sugar-free. The list goes on.
Free-from is gradually moving out of the margins. Once the preserve of health food and specialty shops, it now demands a place in conventional supermarkets and convenience stores. However, much of the impetus for free-from production and innovation can be found with SMEs and up-and-coming firms that specialise in a particular area.
just-food is at this year's Free-From Expo in Brussels on 3/4 June to bring you updates of the latest free-from trends emerging. We will bring you news and views from the two day event, trend-spotting as your eyes and ears on the ground in this innovative sector.
The takeover battle for Family Dollar Stores has taken another twist, with the US retailer rejecting a takeover bid from rival Dollar General and in-the-spotlight CEO Howard Levine citing anti-trust c...
Hain Celestial founder, president and CEO Irwin Simon is not one to maintain a stony face when discussing his company's performance. This morning's (20 August) conference call was no exception....
Dollar General has moved to derail Dollar Tree's proposed acquisition of Family Dollar Stores by trumping the US$9.2bn offer already on the table with a competing $9.7bn bid....
The UK government has insisted there was no moves to block the review of the UK food supply chain and said it will published "shortly"....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide