Blog: Kellogg shows willing but is it enough to secure UB?
Katy Askew | 3 October 2014
Kellogg CEO John Byrant has reportedly flown to London to meet with United Biscuits as part of the US company's bid to seal a deal for the UK biscuits group.
According to The Wall Street Journal, Byrant has made the trip to discuss a bid that values UB at around GBP2bn (US$3.23bn).
Kellogg is up against some stiff competition from strategic buyers also competing to take control of United Biscuits. The likes of Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan-backed Burton's Biscuit Co. and Yildiz Holding-backed Ulker are also said to be in the running for the firm. Added to the pot can be a potential float of United Biscuits, which owners Blackstone Group and PAI Partners are also said to be considering.
The private-equity firms are working to extract maximum value as they exit their investment in the maker of Jacob's and McVitie's. And the rivalry to take control of the firm appears intense.
Byrant's visit to London is a statement of intent. But it will take more than this to ink an agreement. Kellogg shareholders will likely be feeling wary the company does not pay an overly high premium in its chase for United Biscuits.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020