Blog: Kerry continues sub-Saharan expansion
Michelle Russell | 6 March 2013
Kerry Food Group has continued its sub-Saharan expansion with the acquisition of South Africa's Orley Foods.
Kerry's Ingredients & Flavours division made the acquisition of the sweet ingredient solutions supplier for an undisclosed sum. The deal, Kerry said, underlines its commitment to serving customers within the EMEA region.
“This is a key part of our strategy to work alongside our global customer base, finding ways to deliver our unique range of ingredient and flavour technologies and food science know-how in the territories where they are being consumed," said Scott Scharinger, president EMEA developing markets for Kerry Ingredients & Flavours.
While Kerry considers South Africa an important market for the company in its own right, Scharinger said it is also "the springboard" for its expansion into other important and growing sub-Saharan countries such as Nigeria and Kenya.
Over the last few years, acquisitions have helped the group to "plant the seed" in emerging markets, and in 2011, the company completed the acquisition of FlavourCraft in South Africa as well as two Indian acquisitions, EBI Cremica and Lactose India.
This latest deal will only serves to higlight the company's commitment to emerging markets.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements