Blog: Kerry continues sub-Saharan expansion
Michelle Russell | 6 March 2013
Kerry Food Group has continued its sub-Saharan expansion with the acquisition of South Africa's Orley Foods.
Kerry's Ingredients & Flavours division made the acquisition of the sweet ingredient solutions supplier for an undisclosed sum. The deal, Kerry said, underlines its commitment to serving customers within the EMEA region.
“This is a key part of our strategy to work alongside our global customer base, finding ways to deliver our unique range of ingredient and flavour technologies and food science know-how in the territories where they are being consumed," said Scott Scharinger, president EMEA developing markets for Kerry Ingredients & Flavours.
While Kerry considers South Africa an important market for the company in its own right, Scharinger said it is also "the springboard" for its expansion into other important and growing sub-Saharan countries such as Nigeria and Kenya.
Over the last few years, acquisitions have helped the group to "plant the seed" in emerging markets, and in 2011, the company completed the acquisition of FlavourCraft in South Africa as well as two Indian acquisitions, EBI Cremica and Lactose India.
This latest deal will only serves to higlight the company's commitment to emerging markets.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Kellogg names Fareed Khan as incoming CFO