Blog: Kerry continues sub-Saharan expansion
Michelle Russell | 6 March 2013
Kerry Food Group has continued its sub-Saharan expansion with the acquisition of South Africa's Orley Foods.
Kerry's Ingredients & Flavours division made the acquisition of the sweet ingredient solutions supplier for an undisclosed sum. The deal, Kerry said, underlines its commitment to serving customers within the EMEA region.
“This is a key part of our strategy to work alongside our global customer base, finding ways to deliver our unique range of ingredient and flavour technologies and food science know-how in the territories where they are being consumed," said Scott Scharinger, president EMEA developing markets for Kerry Ingredients & Flavours.
While Kerry considers South Africa an important market for the company in its own right, Scharinger said it is also "the springboard" for its expansion into other important and growing sub-Saharan countries such as Nigeria and Kenya.
Over the last few years, acquisitions have helped the group to "plant the seed" in emerging markets, and in 2011, the company completed the acquisition of FlavourCraft in South Africa as well as two Indian acquisitions, EBI Cremica and Lactose India.
This latest deal will only serves to higlight the company's commitment to emerging markets.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities