Blog: Krafty Peltz eyes second bite at US food giant
Chris Brook-Carter | 30 June 2011
I suspect there will be mixed feelings amongst the Kraft Foods leadership this morning to news that Nelson Peltz is once more on the share roster. The news pushed Kraft's share value north this morning by some 2%.
Peltz is no stranger to Kraft and has held shares within the food giant before. He has a reputation for ruffling feathers in the food industry, whether it be Cadbury or HJ Heinz and his presence can engender confidence in the market.
Kraft's senior management last saw Peltz in 2007 and later that year the company sold its US cereals arm and acquired Danone's biscuits business. Peltz's presence also seemed to have an effect on the composition of Kraft's board, with independent directors soon taking up most of the seats around the boardroom table.
But his presence can also be divisive, with the 2006 battle with the Heinz board an acrimonious and public affair.
Peltz's modus operandi is to buy shares in food manufacturing giants that he believes need to change strategy. It's as yet unclear where he sees this latest investment going. But what will be fascinating is that this second foray into Kraft could bring him head to head with that other investing giant Warren Buffett.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report