Blog: Leclerc - the price crusader
Dean Best | 7 February 2008
The French retail lobby's most vociferous personality, Michel-Edouard Leclerc, has gone into overdrive to sell his pricing crusade.
After publicly removing six lines supplied by household names from his stores, Leclerc is recycling government figures to say that official estimates of consumers' purchasing power have been overstated.
For the past five years, Leclerc has employed an agency to analyse figures from the national statistics office INSEE. The results have been posted on this website to build Leclerc's price crusading image.
Leclerc has been telling French consumers that government figures, based on OECD requirements, are not an accurate reflection of personal spending power. Obviously, since everyone would like to spend more, this is a popular story.
What’s more, it also helps to create a climate of opinion favourable to allowing six major multiples control access to 60m French consumers for 10,500 French food manufacturers.
A wide-ranging review of French economic strategy undertaken by a commission led by Jacques Attali looks set to have major implications for French food retailers and producers. In advocating the repea...
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities