Blog: Leclerc - the price crusader
Dean Best | 7 February 2008
The French retail lobby's most vociferous personality, Michel-Edouard Leclerc, has gone into overdrive to sell his pricing crusade.
After publicly removing six lines supplied by household names from his stores, Leclerc is recycling government figures to say that official estimates of consumers' purchasing power have been overstated.
For the past five years, Leclerc has employed an agency to analyse figures from the national statistics office INSEE. The results have been posted on this website to build Leclerc's price crusading image.
Leclerc has been telling French consumers that government figures, based on OECD requirements, are not an accurate reflection of personal spending power. Obviously, since everyone would like to spend more, this is a popular story.
What’s more, it also helps to create a climate of opinion favourable to allowing six major multiples control access to 60m French consumers for 10,500 French food manufacturers.
A wide-ranging review of French economic strategy undertaken by a commission led by Jacques Attali looks set to have major implications for French food retailers and producers. In advocating the repea...
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016