Blog: Let me tell you a story...
Dean Best | 8 June 2007
The food industry is so full of history, culture, and innovation – and pervades so much of our lives – that we learn new things about everyday.
And that’s true if we’ve been working in the industry for a month, a year, a decade or longer.
News of a valuable new resource on the UK food industry crossed the just-food editorial desk today (8 June).
The British Library has launched 'Food Stories', an interactive service designed to teach users about the changes that have taken place in the UK food industry throughout the last century.
It covers a range of topics including changes in eating habits; food and regulation; the rituals and traditions surrounding food; and food and technology.
Check it out at http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/foodstories/index.html
I’ve had a quick search around the site and it provides an interesting background to the industry; particularly for someone relatively new to the sector like me.
But even if you’re a food industry veteran, you’re sure to be interested in some of the oral testimony collected by the British Library to support the project and to illustrate the changes in the food industry. Fascinating stuff.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities