Blog: Looking for rays of optimism at World Retail Congress
Dean Best | 19 September 2012
Looking back at my previous missives from the annual World Retail Congress, three years ago I wrote about the "economic storm-clouds swirling around the sector". Unfortunately, in many ways little has changed but, for the next three days in London, retail executives will be looking for optimism and opportunities in the industry.
This year's World Retail Congress is at the Excel centre in the east of London, not even a Mo Farah jog away from the Olympic Stadium where, this summer, the Games lifted the UK's mood.
There have been precious few signs that the exploits of Farah et al have had any impact on consumer confidence and, for the next three days, retail executives will debate at the World Retail Congress how to eke out growth in what remains a very challenging sector.
Stay tuned to just-food.com, its Twitter page (@just_food) and my Twitter feed (@dean_best) for the latest news and views from the event.
First up this morning, Tesco CEO Philip Clarke will discuss how retailers can "go for growth in a world of change", an apt title for a speech given by a retail executive facing his own challenges in revitalising the UK retail giant's domestic business.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review