Blog: Love it or hate it… Marmite's 'Sawley Stink'
Dean Best | 27 July 2009
There’s bit of a pong hanging over the homes of Derbyshire and the residents don’t like it.
It seems the village of Sawley has become a ‘love it or hate it’ place to live as villagers have blamed an unpleasant smell on a local Marmite factory.
Over 100 residents have complained to the Environment Agency about the odour, which is thought to have arisen from liquid waste from the manufacture of the savoury spread being disposed of on a nearby farm.
Residents of the re-named ‘Sawley Stink’ have all signed a petition to air their complaints on the village stench, which will be presented to the local council.
A spokesperson for Unilever thanked local residents for bringing the issue to its attention and said it treats any concern about the impact of its business on local communities "very seriously indeed".
"Following discussions with our contractor, we have now been reassured that this site will no longer be used for the disposal of the waste by-product of the Marmite manufacturing process.
"We will be carefully monitoring the situation to ensure that the guarantees our contractor has given us will be fully upheld."
Not a fan of Marmite myself (sorry Unilever!), I’m thankful I live further down in Birmingham.
The nearest factory smell I’ll be breathing in is that of Cadbury’s Bournville chocolate factory. No contest really.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report