Blog: Love it or hate it… Marmite's 'Sawley Stink'
Dean Best | 27 July 2009
There’s bit of a pong hanging over the homes of Derbyshire and the residents don’t like it.
It seems the village of Sawley has become a ‘love it or hate it’ place to live as villagers have blamed an unpleasant smell on a local Marmite factory.
Over 100 residents have complained to the Environment Agency about the odour, which is thought to have arisen from liquid waste from the manufacture of the savoury spread being disposed of on a nearby farm.
Residents of the re-named ‘Sawley Stink’ have all signed a petition to air their complaints on the village stench, which will be presented to the local council.
A spokesperson for Unilever thanked local residents for bringing the issue to its attention and said it treats any concern about the impact of its business on local communities "very seriously indeed".
"Following discussions with our contractor, we have now been reassured that this site will no longer be used for the disposal of the waste by-product of the Marmite manufacturing process.
"We will be carefully monitoring the situation to ensure that the guarantees our contractor has given us will be fully upheld."
Not a fan of Marmite myself (sorry Unilever!), I’m thankful I live further down in Birmingham.
The nearest factory smell I’ll be breathing in is that of Cadbury’s Bournville chocolate factory. No contest really.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020