Blog: Lunch (but no Ferrero Rocher) with the ambassador
Catherine Sleep | 27 June 2003
Nice people, the Finns. Despite the grandiose setting of the ambassador's residence in Kensington Palace Gardens, the event was pretty informal. A former deputy prime minister of Finland, the ambassador Pertti Salolainen and his wife made us feel very welcome in their home. It must be quite hard, living over the shop. On the other hand, it’s a magnificent shop to live over.
Chatting over a splendid lunch, the ambassador didn’t miss the opportunity to push the case for Helsinki to be chosen as the seat for the new European Food Safety Authority. It’s hard to believe how long that particular debate has been grumbling on, isn’t it? I’ve been writing about the food industry for more than five years now, and one of the first stories I ever wrote concerned the location of the proposed EFSA.
I still think Helsinki has a strong case – the country has an excellent food safety record and state-of-the-art facilities and technology. Moreover, Finland does not yet host an EU Agency. However, the longer the political wrangling continues, the greater the likelihood it will end up in Brussels, where it’s already set up shop on a provisional basis.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report