Blog: Lunch (but no Ferrero Rocher) with the ambassador
Catherine Sleep | 27 June 2003
Nice people, the Finns. Despite the grandiose setting of the ambassador's residence in Kensington Palace Gardens, the event was pretty informal. A former deputy prime minister of Finland, the ambassador Pertti Salolainen and his wife made us feel very welcome in their home. It must be quite hard, living over the shop. On the other hand, it’s a magnificent shop to live over.
Chatting over a splendid lunch, the ambassador didn’t miss the opportunity to push the case for Helsinki to be chosen as the seat for the new European Food Safety Authority. It’s hard to believe how long that particular debate has been grumbling on, isn’t it? I’ve been writing about the food industry for more than five years now, and one of the first stories I ever wrote concerned the location of the proposed EFSA.
I still think Helsinki has a strong case – the country has an excellent food safety record and state-of-the-art facilities and technology. Moreover, Finland does not yet host an EU Agency. However, the longer the political wrangling continues, the greater the likelihood it will end up in Brussels, where it’s already set up shop on a provisional basis.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up