Blog: Lunch (but no Ferrero Rocher) with the ambassador
Catherine Sleep | 27 June 2003
Nice people, the Finns. Despite the grandiose setting of the ambassador's residence in Kensington Palace Gardens, the event was pretty informal. A former deputy prime minister of Finland, the ambassador Pertti Salolainen and his wife made us feel very welcome in their home. It must be quite hard, living over the shop. On the other hand, it’s a magnificent shop to live over.
Chatting over a splendid lunch, the ambassador didn’t miss the opportunity to push the case for Helsinki to be chosen as the seat for the new European Food Safety Authority. It’s hard to believe how long that particular debate has been grumbling on, isn’t it? I’ve been writing about the food industry for more than five years now, and one of the first stories I ever wrote concerned the location of the proposed EFSA.
I still think Helsinki has a strong case – the country has an excellent food safety record and state-of-the-art facilities and technology. Moreover, Finland does not yet host an EU Agency. However, the longer the political wrangling continues, the greater the likelihood it will end up in Brussels, where it’s already set up shop on a provisional basis.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image