Blog: Maggi crisis results in Q2 loss for Nestle India arm
Hannah Abdulla | 29 July 2015
Nestle was forced to withdraw Maggi noodles from Indian shelves last month after food bodies insisted they were unsafe for consumption
After a particularly difficult quarter in India where it became the centre of the country's worst food scare in a decade, Nestle has reported a loss in its India business for the second quarter of the year.
The company said for the quarter ended June its Indian unit made a net loss of INR644m (US$10m), compared with a INR2.88bn profit a year earlier.
Sales fell 20% to INR19.34bn.
Nestle issued a recall of its Maggi branded noodles last month after Indian food safety regulators claimed the product contained elevated levels of lead. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India also said the product contained the ingredient MSG when Nestle's packaging stated "no added MSG".
The scandal, which broke in Uttar Pradesh after the authorities detected elevated lead and MSG in routine testing, has seen a number of Indian states, including Gujarat and Tamil Nadu ban the sale of Maggi noodles. Maggi noodles account for 29% of Nestle's sales in India.
Earlier this week, Nestle replaced the MD of its Indian business, Etienne Benet, with the CEO and chairman of its operations in the Philippines, Suresh Narayanan. Nestle it said was a move to "reinvigorate the efforts to resolve this crisis."
"One of the strengths of Nestle is our pool of talented leaders, like Suresh, whom we can call upon in times like this," a spokesperson told just-food.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review