Blog: Manuka welfare scandal another blow for NZ dairy
Katy Askew | 22 January 2014
The reputation of the New Zealand dairy industry has taken another blow, with Chilean authorities reportedly launching an investigation into alleged animal cruelty by Manuka Dairy.
Reports in the Chilean and New Zealand press have accused Manuka's operation in the country of killing "thousands" of calves not needed in the milk processing process by "leaving them starving, slitting their throats or beating them with objects of great forcefulness".
The media outcry prompted Chilean politician Fidel Espinoza to denounce Manuka in the Chilean House of Representatives. An investigation has been launched into the company's activities and any psychological impact these practices may have had on workers, reports say.
While Manuka lacks the clout of New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra, the fresh scandal comes as an additional setback for the country's dairy industry on the global stage.
New Zealand dairy has benefited from being well-known for offering high-quality, safe and responsibly produced products. Allegations of animal abuse are hardly in keeping with the country's green reputation.
Fonterra's false botulism recall last year dented consumer confidence in the sector - particularly in key markets in Asia, including China. More recently, an E.Coli recall this month could go some way to tarnishing Fonterra's reputation further still.
The NZ government has focused on re-establishing the reputation of NZ dairy exporters, with a particular focus on bringing the message that the country's industry is safe to China, a key market. This new controversy can do little to build bridges.
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
Opposition to the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food continues to prove a controversial issue....
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom