Blog: Marmite-loving Paddington turns 50
Dean Best | 30 May 2008
You either love it or hate it.
The catchphrase is synonymous with Marmite and is one of the best-known slogans in UK advertising.
There is one gentleman in the UK, however, who isn’t the brand’s biggest fan. That man is Michael Bond, the creator of Paddington Bear.
Paddington turns 50 today (30 May) and Bond, 82, has been touring TV studios talking lovingly about the bear from Darkest Peru; from the story behind the bear’s name to its love for marmalade.
However, Bond doesn’t approve of Paddington’s latest favourite delicacy – Marmite. Earlier this year, the bear returned to UK TV screens as part of Unilever’s latest push behind the brand.
When asked by one journalist for his thoughts on the use of Paddington in the Marmite campaign, Bond said it had “nothing to do” with him and left him “spitting blood”.
Still, I bet Paddington will be happy Marks & Spencer will soon be stocking the stuff.
P.S. You know, I’ve never tasted Marmite. Is it actually any good?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities