Blog: Mars brings back Barnes for a bit of World Cup magic
Dean Best | 16 April 2010
Ah, 1990. The year when Nelson Mandela was released, a succession of events in Eastern Europe proved the Soviet Union's influence on the region was receding and Thatcher resigned.
Being just nine years old, I have only sketchy memories of those events and, in any event, was praying that Mark Robins could score yet another FA Cup goal - and that, one day, I could look as cool as Shaun Ryder.
For us football fanatics, it was also the year of Nessun Dorma, Gazza's tears and Roger Milla dancing at corner flags.
(Was all this really twenty years ago?)
It was also the year of a high-point in British music. Yes, that's right, John Barnes' rap for the England World Cup song World In Motion.
As England prepares for yet more (probably penalty-induced) heartache at this year's World Cup in South Africa, Mars has asked Barnes to get back behind the microphone and re-enact his famous rap.
The track will feature in a new advert for the Mars brand, which is one of the "official suppliers" to the England team. The chocolate maker is also giving 15 people the chance to appear alongside Barnes in the new advert.
For a bit of Friday fun, here's the original, complete with Keith Allen's comedy turn behind Barnes.
Ah, memories. Reminds me of my Dad dancing in the garden to the song after England beat Belgium 1-0 in the second round of that World Cup with a last-minute goal.
Can we actually win the thing this time?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020