Blog: Mars brings back Barnes for a bit of World Cup magic
Dean Best | 16 April 2010
Ah, 1990. The year when Nelson Mandela was released, a succession of events in Eastern Europe proved the Soviet Union's influence on the region was receding and Thatcher resigned.
Being just nine years old, I have only sketchy memories of those events and, in any event, was praying that Mark Robins could score yet another FA Cup goal - and that, one day, I could look as cool as Shaun Ryder.
For us football fanatics, it was also the year of Nessun Dorma, Gazza's tears and Roger Milla dancing at corner flags.
(Was all this really twenty years ago?)
It was also the year of a high-point in British music. Yes, that's right, John Barnes' rap for the England World Cup song World In Motion.
As England prepares for yet more (probably penalty-induced) heartache at this year's World Cup in South Africa, Mars has asked Barnes to get back behind the microphone and re-enact his famous rap.
The track will feature in a new advert for the Mars brand, which is one of the "official suppliers" to the England team. The chocolate maker is also giving 15 people the chance to appear alongside Barnes in the new advert.
For a bit of Friday fun, here's the original, complete with Keith Allen's comedy turn behind Barnes.
Ah, memories. Reminds me of my Dad dancing in the garden to the song after England beat Belgium 1-0 in the second round of that World Cup with a last-minute goal.
Can we actually win the thing this time?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review