Blog: Matching bread to soup
Catherine Sleep | 29 November 2006
La Brea bakery is urging consumers and restaurateurs to give more thought to the bread they eat and serve. The American company said that pairing certain varieties of bread with different soups, broths and chowders can heighten the culinary enjoyment of both as the flavour of the bread complements that of the soup.
The company foresees a day when it will no longer be sufficient to offer just white or brown bread (well, they would, wouldn’t they?). “Like choosing the right wine to go with a dish, you should serve a quality specialist bread that can enhance the soup’s flavours,” La Brea argues.
So far, so fairly reasonable. But then the company predicts that restaurants will start hiring specialist bread waiters, presumably analogous with sommeliers. Now that, I can’t see happening anytime soon.
Anyway, it’s lunchtime so I’m off for some spicy potato and lentil soup, which I’m embarrassed to admit I’ll be ‘pairing’ with a slice of supermarket brown. Shame on me.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities