Blog: Matching bread to soup
Catherine Sleep | 29 November 2006
La Brea bakery is urging consumers and restaurateurs to give more thought to the bread they eat and serve. The American company said that pairing certain varieties of bread with different soups, broths and chowders can heighten the culinary enjoyment of both as the flavour of the bread complements that of the soup.
The company foresees a day when it will no longer be sufficient to offer just white or brown bread (well, they would, wouldn’t they?). “Like choosing the right wine to go with a dish, you should serve a quality specialist bread that can enhance the soup’s flavours,” La Brea argues.
So far, so fairly reasonable. But then the company predicts that restaurants will start hiring specialist bread waiters, presumably analogous with sommeliers. Now that, I can’t see happening anytime soon.
Anyway, it’s lunchtime so I’m off for some spicy potato and lentil soup, which I’m embarrassed to admit I’ll be ‘pairing’ with a slice of supermarket brown. Shame on me.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review