Blog: McCain speaks out as US anger at biofuels grows
Dean Best | 6 May 2008
Washington is facing more flak over its biofuels policy – this time from the boss of one of the country’s largest chicken producers.
Clint Rivers, president and CEO of Pilgrim’s Pride, has issued some stern words against the US government’s promotion of ethanol, directly blaming the policy for his company’s financial problems.
Rivers blamed Washington’s thirst for biofuels for the job cuts at his company and across the US agriculture sector as food makers battle against rising costs.
On this side of the Atlantic, politicians are now beginning to question the EU’s backing for biofuels. UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown, for one, is promising a review into the issue as food prices rise.
In the US, however, widespread political opposition to biofuels is only starting to get off the ground. Following last week’s call from the Governor of Texas to slash the amount of corn used for biofuel production, a couple of dozen of Republicans are now voicing their discontent over the policy.
Notable, one of those angry Republicans is John McCain. Would a new broom in the White House sweep away a policy that is losing support fast?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review