Blog: McDonald’s drives thru cyberspace
Catherine Sleep | 12 April 2006
More and more companies are farming out their backend operations, and it’s not unusual to speak to a service representative in India when you phone your UK bank or insurance company these days. And very efficient they are too (mostly). But McDonald’s has taken outsourcing to a new level.
US customers ordering meals at drive-thru outlets may find themselves speaking not to a Real Live Person (remember them?) behind a perspex window, or even a disembodied voice originating from elsewhere in the building. No, they may be served by a McDonald’s employee sitting in a call centre many hundreds of miles away.
Web-based ordering systems relay information back to the restaurant outside of which the customer is sitting, saving seconds off each order, apparently. I kind of like it – and at least the call centre workers don’t have to spend the day surrounded by the smell of burgers.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities