Blog: McDonald’s drives thru cyberspace
Catherine Sleep | 12 April 2006
More and more companies are farming out their backend operations, and it’s not unusual to speak to a service representative in India when you phone your UK bank or insurance company these days. And very efficient they are too (mostly). But McDonald’s has taken outsourcing to a new level.
US customers ordering meals at drive-thru outlets may find themselves speaking not to a Real Live Person (remember them?) behind a perspex window, or even a disembodied voice originating from elsewhere in the building. No, they may be served by a McDonald’s employee sitting in a call centre many hundreds of miles away.
Web-based ordering systems relay information back to the restaurant outside of which the customer is sitting, saving seconds off each order, apparently. I kind of like it – and at least the call centre workers don’t have to spend the day surrounded by the smell of burgers.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016