Blog: McDonald’s training video
Catherine Sleep | 30 January 2007
You might enjoy taking a look at a McDonald’s training video from the early 1970s. The dated outfits, language and décor aside, the structure of the material itself is amusingly quaint.
An apparent prodigy of Dale Carnegie tells jaded McDonald’s staff that “simple as it may sound, the secret is courtesy”. Cue a pep talk about how courtesy is contagious, ditto smiling, and how as a staff member you are controlling the transaction and can steer a grotty customer away from barking at you and almost force him into being pleasant by setting the tone.
It’s obvious stuff, and it’s undeniably cheesy, but it holds as true in 2007 as it was in 1972. Trouble is, you can teach staff to say the right things, but you can’t make them mean it, and an insincere “Have a nice day” just irks. Still, even lip service courtesy is a start.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project
- Lactalis fails to hit threshold to delist Parmalat
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe