Blog: McDonald’s training video
Catherine Sleep | 30 January 2007
You might enjoy taking a look at a McDonald’s training video from the early 1970s. The dated outfits, language and décor aside, the structure of the material itself is amusingly quaint.
An apparent prodigy of Dale Carnegie tells jaded McDonald’s staff that “simple as it may sound, the secret is courtesy”. Cue a pep talk about how courtesy is contagious, ditto smiling, and how as a staff member you are controlling the transaction and can steer a grotty customer away from barking at you and almost force him into being pleasant by setting the tone.
It’s obvious stuff, and it’s undeniably cheesy, but it holds as true in 2007 as it was in 1972. Trouble is, you can teach staff to say the right things, but you can’t make them mean it, and an insincere “Have a nice day” just irks. Still, even lip service courtesy is a start.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities