Blog: McWeight Watchers?
Katy Askew | 4 March 2010
Continuing with the obesity theme, a surprising development to come out of New Zealand is the announcement of a tie-up between Weight Watchers and unlikely bed-fellow McDonald's.
As part of the deal, McDonald's will use the Weight Watchers logo on its menu boards and Weight Watchers will promote McDonald's to dieters. The dieting group has endorsed various items on McDonald's menu, including chicken nuggets and Filet-O-Fish.
Now, I'm not really a McDonald's aficionado, but I am assured that although Weight Watchers has pumped for the “healthier” white meat and fish options, healthy they aint. There are three grams of fat in each McNugget and 18 grammes of fat in a Fillet-O-Fish (which contains copious amounts of tartar sauce and processed cheese).
Now, call me cynical, but it seems pretty clear what this deal is all about – the famous 'golden arches' have found a golden opportunity to reach out to the abstinent.
As for Weight Watchers, shouldn't there be some concern that the move will devalue the Weight Watchers brand, which is reliant on the trust of dieters? Doesn't it seem a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous announcing a tie-up with Budweiser?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review