Blog: McWeight Watchers?
Katy Askew | 4 March 2010
Continuing with the obesity theme, a surprising development to come out of New Zealand is the announcement of a tie-up between Weight Watchers and unlikely bed-fellow McDonald's.
As part of the deal, McDonald's will use the Weight Watchers logo on its menu boards and Weight Watchers will promote McDonald's to dieters. The dieting group has endorsed various items on McDonald's menu, including chicken nuggets and Filet-O-Fish.
Now, I'm not really a McDonald's aficionado, but I am assured that although Weight Watchers has pumped for the “healthier” white meat and fish options, healthy they aint. There are three grams of fat in each McNugget and 18 grammes of fat in a Fillet-O-Fish (which contains copious amounts of tartar sauce and processed cheese).
Now, call me cynical, but it seems pretty clear what this deal is all about – the famous 'golden arches' have found a golden opportunity to reach out to the abstinent.
As for Weight Watchers, shouldn't there be some concern that the move will devalue the Weight Watchers brand, which is reliant on the trust of dieters? Doesn't it seem a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous announcing a tie-up with Budweiser?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report