Blog: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Catherine Sleep | 22 December 2006
There’s been little sign of a pre-Christmas slowdown in the food industry this week. Carrefour looked to be talking its way into India, where it would join Tesco and Wal-Mart in the battle to establish a foothold in this huge and potentially extremely lucrative market. Meanwhile fellow French major Danone secured a share of the burgeoning Chinese dairy business by joining forces with the local market leader, Mengniu.
There was also good news for the organic industry this week, as ministers in Brussels made significant progress on approving an EU-wide system for labelling organic foodstuffs. It’s been a long time coming – and knowing the speed at which the wheels of eurocracy grind, it’ll be a while longer yet till we see an EU organic label.
Across the pond excitement mounted over the New York ruling that will see restaurants obliged not only to eliminate trans fats from their menu in 2007, but also to display the calorie count of all menu items clearly in the customer’s view. The ruling has its dissenters among the fastfood fraternity, as just-food found out.
just-food has had a great 2006; thanks to all our readers for your support, feedback and invitations. We’ll be off now until 2 January, when we’ll get to work with recharged batteries to bring you the low-down on your industry.
Best wishes for a happy Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year!
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review