Blog: Milk in bags - will UK accept this recycled notion?
Dean Best | 27 June 2007
The notion of buying milk in bags has reached the UK – but similar experiences overseas seem to cast questions on whether the idea will take off here.
Shoppers to upmarket UK grocer Waitrose can buy a reusable milk jug alongside Calon Wen organic milk, which will be sold in so-called “eco paks”. Consumers can make the one-off purchase of buying the jug, which is topped up from the eco-paks.
Waitrose and Calon Wen, the Welsh farmers co-operative, hope the concept can help in the battle to cut household waste in the UK. The eco paks are said to use some 75% less plastic packaging than the equivalent polybottle. And despite high-profile public campaigns on recycling, around only a quarter of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK
It’s a laudable aim – but will it succeed? Shoppers in Canada have long been used to buying their milk in eco-friendly packs, which now account for a majority of the fresh milk sold in the country. However, in Australia and New Zealand, similar initiatives have failed to catch the imagination of consumers.
Will price remain a key factor for UK consumers? The milk sold in the “eco paks” is more expensive than organic milk on sale in Waitrose. No matter how “green” consumers are said to be becoming, cost could remain an obstacle to embracing this concept.
And, what’s more, only when retail giants like Tesco embrace similar initiatives will a dent be made in the growing mountain of plastic bottle littering the UK.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review