Blog: Morrisons' great expectations for new private-label offer
Petah Marian | 20 July 2011
UK grocer Morrisons seems to have high expectations for its soon-to-be relaunched private-label offer.
Speaking at Morrisons Christmas press day yesterday (19 July), head chef Neil Nugent hinted at the scale of the changes, which are set to begin to be rolled out in October.
"I'm gearing up for a race but I'm not sure if its a sprint or a marathon," he told just-food, suggesting that it is more likely to be the latter.
Nugent said that it will take time to roll out the new-look range, which has some 8,000 SKUs, and that, as part of those plans, he's employed five more chefs, while Morrisons is building a "centre of excellence" to develop new products at its Bradford HQ.
Speaking about the drive behind the pace of change at the UK's fourth-largest grocer, he described chief executive Dalton Philips as "an ambitious man" and that the staff at the retailer are striving to achieve the plan he laid out last November.
With the first M-Local store opening last week to a positive reception among industry watchers, just-food towers is keen to see what Philips has planned for his own-label range.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK