Blog: Morrisons' great expectations for new private-label offer
Petah Marian | 20 July 2011
UK grocer Morrisons seems to have high expectations for its soon-to-be relaunched private-label offer.
Speaking at Morrisons Christmas press day yesterday (19 July), head chef Neil Nugent hinted at the scale of the changes, which are set to begin to be rolled out in October.
"I'm gearing up for a race but I'm not sure if its a sprint or a marathon," he told just-food, suggesting that it is more likely to be the latter.
Nugent said that it will take time to roll out the new-look range, which has some 8,000 SKUs, and that, as part of those plans, he's employed five more chefs, while Morrisons is building a "centre of excellence" to develop new products at its Bradford HQ.
Speaking about the drive behind the pace of change at the UK's fourth-largest grocer, he described chief executive Dalton Philips as "an ambitious man" and that the staff at the retailer are striving to achieve the plan he laid out last November.
With the first M-Local store opening last week to a positive reception among industry watchers, just-food towers is keen to see what Philips has planned for his own-label range.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review