Blog: Morrisons' great expectations for new private-label offer
Petah Marian | 20 July 2011
UK grocer Morrisons seems to have high expectations for its soon-to-be relaunched private-label offer.
Speaking at Morrisons Christmas press day yesterday (19 July), head chef Neil Nugent hinted at the scale of the changes, which are set to begin to be rolled out in October.
"I'm gearing up for a race but I'm not sure if its a sprint or a marathon," he told just-food, suggesting that it is more likely to be the latter.
Nugent said that it will take time to roll out the new-look range, which has some 8,000 SKUs, and that, as part of those plans, he's employed five more chefs, while Morrisons is building a "centre of excellence" to develop new products at its Bradford HQ.
Speaking about the drive behind the pace of change at the UK's fourth-largest grocer, he described chief executive Dalton Philips as "an ambitious man" and that the staff at the retailer are striving to achieve the plan he laid out last November.
With the first M-Local store opening last week to a positive reception among industry watchers, just-food towers is keen to see what Philips has planned for his own-label range.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities