Blog: Morrisons has online launch in its sights
Michelle Russell | 15 January 2013
UK retailer Morrisons may be edging closer to its long-awaited launch into online grocery retail as news of the creation of a digital 'agency' is confirmed.
M Digital, the in-house operation, has been set up to handle the ecommerce launch, it has been reported, although a Morrisons spokesperson says it is to "ensure continuity of on-going digital projects it made sense to bring the Candi team in house". The on-going digital projects being "day-to-day website management", a spokesperson told just-food.
The 'agency' comprises around 10 staff who are understood to have joined the retailer under Transfer of Undertakings (Tupe) proceedings from Candi, a digital agency that held the Morrisons account, before its closure last year.
The news may come as little surprise to industry watchers, many of whom have observed as the retail group continues to weigh up the value of an online grocery offering as its rivals steam ahead with their competitive ecommerce platforms.
Morrisons does have an online presence and management has been keen to emphasise it has been active in developing its online capabilities by acquiring online clothing retailer Kiddicare, a stake in US-based Fresh Direct and launching a wine website.
But as of yet there is no online food offering. On the firm's third-quarter results call last week, CEO Dalton Philips hinted the group could be gearing up to enter the online grocery space and that it could even benefit from a "late mover advantage".
Conlumino analysts have warned this may not be the case given the grocer has been "excruciatingly slow" to respond to emerging consumer shopping trends in food and grocery, but this latest move by Morrisons may be a sign the retailer is finally ready to ride the online grocery wave.
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
UK dairy farmers have been working to raise awareness of the low milk price, driven down by weakening global demand for dairy commodities. These efforts have met some success and farmers have gained t...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report