Blog: Morrisons reacts to discounter pressure with own-label unit
Hannah Abdulla | 7 April 2014
Morrisons has created its own label unit to compete with discount retailers
The rise of the discounters is weighing heavy on Morrisons' mind as the supermarket responds by creating its own-label unit.
Led by trading director Andy Atkinson, reporting into group trading director Casper Meijer, the new unit will bring together own-brand sourcing, packaging design and product development.
News of the introduction was timed with the departure news of corporate brand and marketing director Belinda Youngs. Youngs will stay until later this year to oversee the marketing of Morrisons' value positioning an loyalty proposition.
Supermarkets are coming under increasing pressure to offer more value as discount retailers such as Aldi and Lidl and value variety retailers such as Poundland and B&M Bargains continue to grab market share.
Speaking to just-food at the end of last week, Shore Capital analyst Clive Black said: "Such stores are gaining popularity because they tend to offer straightforward and generally convenient value, compared to many incumbent and traditional retailers."
Earlier in the year, after Aldi reported a 31% increase in its Christmas sales, Black said the supermarket would face increasing pressure from the Big 4 during 2014.
"We will see the big four fight back - it has to happen."
Meijer said Morrisons introduction of its own label unit would enable it to offer its customers the best value for money.
Farmers in three Australian states are set to grow "millions of extra vegetables" to meet increased demand under a new supply agreement between the country's second largest grocer, Coles and US-based ...
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review