Blog: Morrisons reacts to discounter pressure with own-label unit
Hannah Abdulla | 7 April 2014
Morrisons has created its own label unit to compete with discount retailers
The rise of the discounters is weighing heavy on Morrisons' mind as the supermarket responds by creating its own-label unit.
Led by trading director Andy Atkinson, reporting into group trading director Casper Meijer, the new unit will bring together own-brand sourcing, packaging design and product development.
News of the introduction was timed with the departure news of corporate brand and marketing director Belinda Youngs. Youngs will stay until later this year to oversee the marketing of Morrisons' value positioning an loyalty proposition.
Supermarkets are coming under increasing pressure to offer more value as discount retailers such as Aldi and Lidl and value variety retailers such as Poundland and B&M Bargains continue to grab market share.
Speaking to just-food at the end of last week, Shore Capital analyst Clive Black said: "Such stores are gaining popularity because they tend to offer straightforward and generally convenient value, compared to many incumbent and traditional retailers."
Earlier in the year, after Aldi reported a 31% increase in its Christmas sales, Black said the supermarket would face increasing pressure from the Big 4 during 2014.
"We will see the big four fight back - it has to happen."
Meijer said Morrisons introduction of its own label unit would enable it to offer its customers the best value for money.
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020