Blog: M&S looks to Friel to further boost food sales
Michelle Russell | 10 May 2013
UK retailer Marks & Spencer is hoping the voice of actress Anna Friel will add further momentum to its food sales in 2013 with the launch of a new campaign.
Kicking off from Monday, Friel will provide the voice for a series of TV ads focused on different food occasions - from a seaside picnic to lunch on-the-go. The first, maybe a week too late to inspire us get the picnic blankets out, focuses on a summer BBQ.
M&S is hoping the campaign will publicise the retailer as a destination for all events from BBQs and picnics to Sunday roasts.
With the strapline 'Make Today Delicious', it will act as an umbrella campaign for all M&S food marketing, covering online, print and TV.
M&S' food sales have been the star performer for the retailer. Last month the grocer booked a 4% increase in like-for-like food sales in the UK for the 13 weeks to 30 March - a performance that was "well ahead of the market".
Indeed, it has reported three years of rising food LFL sales and found itself relatively unaffected by the horsemeat saga that hit the European food industry earlier this year. This latest campaign is only likely to boost sales further.
Those wanting a sneak preview of the ad can do so by visiting the retailer's Facebook page on Sunday evening.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review