Blog: M&S's May Day celebration
Dean Best | 1 February 2010
And so, UK retail's favourite Dutchman will take the wheel at Marks and Spencer in May.
The news today (1 February) that Marc Bolland has agreed a release date with former employer Morrisons to join M&S enables both businesses to firmly look to the future.
Morrisons has Bolland's successor in place and M&S will be hoping the former Heineken executive can have a similar effect on its business as he had on its Bradford-based rival.
Bolland is likely to first address the media and the invest community in late May when M&S unveils its annual results, although retail watchers will most probably have to wait until later in the year to hear what the new boss has in store for the business.
A series of question marks hang over M&S, especially after its January trading update sent shares tumbling. Concerns remain over the impact M&S's value strategy is having on margins.
Nevertheless, there were no doubt smiles at M&S's London HQ at today's announcement, with the retailer expressing its "delight" that Bolland will be in the hot seat from 1 May.
And with staff at one UK M&S store facing proposals that could see them formally warned for not smiling at customers, perhaps the sight of Bolland in the weeks to come will bring some much-needed light relief to the shop floor.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016