Blog: M&S's next boss - a new favourite?
Dean Best | 9 September 2009
Marks and Spencer today (9 September) appointed director of food John Dixon to its board, fuelling further speculation that he may be favourite for the role of CEO when Sir Stuart Rose steps down in 2011.
Commentators have tipped Dixon as one of the most likely to succeed Rose, although he faces competition from the likes of finance director Ian Dyson, head of clothing Kate Bostock, and external candidates such as Sainsbury's Justin King/
Rose has been under fire from some investors since 2008 for holding the position of both CEO and chairman, the argument being, that too much power is concentrated in the M&S boss’ hands.
In July, a large minority of M&S shareholders - around 37% - backed an advisory motion at the company’s AGM calling for the chain to appoint a new independent chairman a year earlier than planned, splitting the job that Rose currently carries out.
Paddy Power currently has Dixon placed at 4/1 to take the helm, while King is edging ahead at 3/1 at the time of going to press. David Beckham is 500/1.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016