Blog: Mummy, where do eggs come from?
Catherine Sleep | 9 December 2004
The degree to which many of today’s youngsters are ignorant about the food they eat is truly shocking. A MORI poll released last week showed that almost half of young kids in Britain think margarine comes from cows, while a third think oranges grow in Britain.
Half do not know that ham is produced from pigs, with an unbelievable third believing it comes from, ahem, chickens.
This is abominable. Good on the National Farmers’ Union for taking the initiative and lobbying the Beeb to help it educate the nation’s youngsters about the origins of food. If we don’t understand where our food comes from, how can we care about the animals involved, or the people who produce and process it? How can we begin to understand how to put together a balanced diet?
Oh dear, I am in danger of becoming one of those old bids who rant on about “the youth of today” and how they are less knowledgeable/well mannered/industrious” than we were. But really…. ham from chickens?
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities