Blog: Mummy, where do eggs come from?
Catherine Sleep | 9 December 2004
The degree to which many of today’s youngsters are ignorant about the food they eat is truly shocking. A MORI poll released last week showed that almost half of young kids in Britain think margarine comes from cows, while a third think oranges grow in Britain.
Half do not know that ham is produced from pigs, with an unbelievable third believing it comes from, ahem, chickens.
This is abominable. Good on the National Farmers’ Union for taking the initiative and lobbying the Beeb to help it educate the nation’s youngsters about the origins of food. If we don’t understand where our food comes from, how can we care about the animals involved, or the people who produce and process it? How can we begin to understand how to put together a balanced diet?
Oh dear, I am in danger of becoming one of those old bids who rant on about “the youth of today” and how they are less knowledgeable/well mannered/industrious” than we were. But really…. ham from chickens?
Danone completed its US$12.5bn acquisition of WhiteWave Foods this week. The move will roughly double Danone's presence in North America, where WhiteWave is a top four dairy player. ...
Premier Foods plc revealed today (28 March) it has secured a deal with its pension scheme trustees that will see the UK food maker reduce its pension burden....
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Interview: "Disruptive" snack brand Hippeas
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark