Blog: Mummy, where do eggs come from?
Catherine Sleep | 9 December 2004
The degree to which many of today’s youngsters are ignorant about the food they eat is truly shocking. A MORI poll released last week showed that almost half of young kids in Britain think margarine comes from cows, while a third think oranges grow in Britain.
Half do not know that ham is produced from pigs, with an unbelievable third believing it comes from, ahem, chickens.
This is abominable. Good on the National Farmers’ Union for taking the initiative and lobbying the Beeb to help it educate the nation’s youngsters about the origins of food. If we don’t understand where our food comes from, how can we care about the animals involved, or the people who produce and process it? How can we begin to understand how to put together a balanced diet?
Oh dear, I am in danger of becoming one of those old bids who rant on about “the youth of today” and how they are less knowledgeable/well mannered/industrious” than we were. But really…. ham from chickens?
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK