Blog: My funny valentine
Petah Marian | 9 February 2011
Sainsbury's will offer its Valentine's Day cucumber
In the lead up to Valentine's Day, just-food's email account has become bogged down with PRs attempting to find some tangential link between their product and the so called 'Hallmark Holiday'.
For those who feel their loved one would think chocolate and champagne are passé, Sainsbury's has launched a heart-shaped cucumber.
The retailer says the cucumber, "perfectly shaped once sliced" tastes as "fresh and as light as the common cucumber".
Sainsbury's goes as far to encourage customers to shop early as only a "limited number will be harvested".
Speaking about the launch, Sainsbury's spokesperson Elaine Young said: "Valentine's Day carries such an element of surprise we hope this year's fun love cucumber will get hearts racing, whether it's in a romantic packed lunch or a lovingly prepared salad."
Meanwhile, the Scottish Shellfish Marketing Group is expecting to see a significant boost in the sale of mussels, which managing director Stephen Cameron attributes to people seeing mussels as a "sexy dish". He adds that it is "quite an intimate experience to share a bowl of mussels that helps couples to relax and feel comfortable in each other's company".
However, Morrisons and The Co-operative Group have decided to keep it simple. Morrisons is offering deals on traditional gifts such as champagne and chocolate, while the Co-op is promoting its Eat In range.
I'll be holding out for one of these cupcakes from boutique baker Lily Vanilli. Well, either that or jewellery.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016